Wednesday, April 17, 2013

The Raising of Minimum Wage


"Time for a Raise,” written by Patricia Smith is about if minimum wage should go up. President Obama feels minimum wage should go up to $9 an hour.

The article has facts. Obama feel minimum wage should go up simultaneously to when inflation go up. Others oppose that the $9 an hour minimum wage is going to make it expensive to hire workers. Obama also want people to be able to have extra money in their pocket.

I think the raising of minimum wage would be a good idea. When I start to work I will be able to make more money than I would have been making.

I understand why Obama wants to raise the minimum wage. People are living off of paycheck to paycheck just to make it by. Once they get their paycheck they aren’t even able to buy themselves or children something because they only have enough to pay bills.

But I also understand the position of the owners. Now that they have to give bigger paychecks, they can’t hire as many people. Or if they do decide to hire more people hours are going to start getting shorter.

Things are only getting more expensive, that means less and less money in people pockets.

I can connect this with a story I have read. The children could barely eat because their mom only had enough money to pay the bills. She was never really home with her kids because she works two jobs. So if minimum wage went up not only would they mom be able to eat and pay the bills but she would also have some time to be with her kids.

1 comment: